Daily Snap

Scenes on campus
Ico print Print | Ico email Email | Facebook | | RSS

Going to the chapel

All the attention that the restored nave of Sterling Memorial Library is getting reminded us of another campus space with an ecclesiastical bent. A librarian once told us that when visitors walked in to Sterling and asked “Did this used to be a church?” she would reply “No, but we have a church that used to be a library.” And this is it: Dwight Memorial Chapel, built as the college library in 1842. It is the home of the Episcopal Church at Yale and the site of many weddings and other events.


The Yale Alumni Magazine is published by Yale Alumni Publications Inc., an alumni-based nonprofit that is not run by Yale University. Its content does not necessarily reflect the views of the university administration.

Filed under Dwight Chapel
The comment period has expired.